TRAIN AS A CIVIL WAR FIELD MUSICIAN in a School modeled on the School of Practice, Governors Island, New York, circa 1861.
LIVE AS A CIVIL WAR SOLDIER from Reveille to Extinguish Lights. From 9:30 am until 4:00 pm Saturday, the schedule for all activities will be completely regulated by bugle, drum, and fife.
Registration for the school includes lunch and admission to Adams County Historical Society's Beyond the Battle Museum.
The Field Music School endeavors to develop and promote quality field musicians, ages 12 and up, in the living history community, by providing engaging, professional instruction in a historical setting; an immersive, musical environment; the knowledge to educate the public about the critical role of martial music; and the nurturing of new and continual friendships that will last a lifetime.
The Field Music School seeks to expand its name, reputation, and historical and musical research, creating additional interest across the nation and the world, as students aim to perfect the lessons they receive from renowned instructors and continue to promote the School's efforts within their home-based units and local events, including exposing the general public to the important role field music played during America's 18th and 19th century military history.
What Else to Expect
- Location for the school is Adams County Historical Society's Beyond the Battle Museum at 625 Biglerville Road, Gettysburg PA 17325.
- Lunch on Saturday will be provided as part of your registration fee.
- Water will also be provided all day long. However, please remember to bring your canteen for water.
- Housing this year is not included. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
- Either Union or Confederate uniform may be worn by musicians and infantry volunteers.
- Also, please note: anyone ages 12-15 must be accompanied by a parent or authorized guardian during the course of the event! Said parent or guardian must be registered as a volunteer. Once again, sorry for any inconvenience.
All of this information, plus more, such as directions, uniform guidelines, and information about what to bring or NOT bring, can be found in the Welcome Packet on the Registration page (coming soon!).